Colistimethate Sodium (Sterile) IP 1 Million IU
Stability and Storage Recommendations:
- Injection :
The normal adult dose should be dissolved in 10 ml of sterile water for injections to form a clear solution and given over a minimum of 5 minutes.
The solution is for single use only and any remaining solution should be discarded.
Swirl gently during reconstitution to avoid frothing.
Colistimethate Sodium can be given as a 50 ml intravenous infusion in 0.9% sodium chloride solution a minimum of 5 days treatment is generally recommended. For the treatment of respiratory or sterile water for injections.
Exacerbations in cystic fibrosis patients, treatment should be continued for up to 12 days.
- Store Colistimethate for Injection USP in powder form at controlled room temperature (15°C-30°C).
- After reconstitution, Colistimethate for Injection USP solution should be stored refrigerated (2°C-8°C) or at room temperature (15°C-30°C) and used within 7 days.
- Any infusion solution containing colistimethate sodium should be freshly prepared and used for no longer than 24 hours.
- In critically ill patients - Loading dose of 9 MIU.
- Maintenance Dose - 4.5 MIU every 12 hourly.
- The dose and duration depend on the severity of the infection as well as the clinical response.
Route of Administration:
|Normal Renal Function
- 3 million IU (240 mg CMS) Every 8h
- For serum creatinine level 1.3-1.5 mg/dl, 16-2.5 mg/dl, or ≥ 2.6 mg/dl, the recommended dosage of intravenous colistin is 2 million IU (160 mg CMS) every 8h, 12h, or 24h, respectively
|Renal Replacement Therapy
- 2 million IU (160 mg CMS) after each hemodialysis
- 2 million IU (160 mg CMS) daily during peritoneal dialysis